This unique position allows our peer‐based education initiatives and support services to address the underlying factors that make youth vulnerable to HIV, AIDS and hepatitis C, as well as assist youth in their efforts to make well‐informed and safer decisions about their sexual health and substance use.
The ED reports to the Board of Directors and will be responsible for the following key areas:
- Act as a role model for and give direction to YouthCO’s mission, values, and strategic vision
- Provide leadership to a team of 11 staff and provide direct supervision for a team of three
- Build relationships with funders, community partners, members and stakeholders
Board Administration and Support:
- Support the board to fulfil its governance functions (strategic planning, policy development, etc.)
- Lead operations and administration by advising and informing board members and act as a liaison between board and staff
Human Resource Management:
- Oversee direction and implementation of all program components
- Work closely with program managers to evaluate progress, identify staff needs, and ensure that program deliverables are being met
- Manage the employees according to the society’s HR policies and procedures
- Direct all fundraising planning and implementation, including donor management grant writing, endowment fundraising campaigns, individual and corporate gifts campaign, and annual fundraising events.
- Serve on the fund development committee
Community and Public Relations:
- Represent the society at local, provincial, and national tables
- Monitor all aspects of the Society’s external communications
- Assure the organization and its mission, programs and services are consistently presented in a strong and positive manner to community stakeholders
- Direct financial management and fund development initiatives, including the ongoing diversification of funding sources
- Oversee all financial, budgetary and administrative aspects of the organization.
- Develop annual budget for board approval and manage the organization’s resources according to current laws and regulations
YouthCO seeks a candidate who brings a proven, acclaimed track record for strategic leadership and breadth of vision. The ED should have a passion for, belief in, and dedication to YouthCO’s mission and values. They will have strong integrity with a commitment to cultural, sexual, and individual diversity. It is imperative that the successful candidate bring relevant experience to all facets of the society’s programs. Extensive experience working in a leadership capacity is required. The candidate must have a minimum of three+ years management experience working in social profit environments.
Additionally, we are seeking an individual who is youth‐friendly, dynamic, and highly nuanced in terms of their management and interpersonal style. Creativity, practical intelligence, flexibility, and an excellent work ethic should be qualities present in preferred candidates. The ideal ED will have a strong personal commitment to the mission of YouthCO. The nature of the position requires outstanding communication and leadership skills, mature business judgment, and a fun and fluid interpersonal style.
From an educational standpoint, a minimum of an undergraduate degree or equivalent management/administrative experience is required.
Experience in the following areas will also be assets:
- Experience working with youth issues related to sexual health, substance use, HIV/AIDS and HepC
- Familiarity and working knowledge of youth‐driven population health, health promotion and harm reduction models and approaches
- Direct experience working with urban youth and managing youth programs.
- Experience with youth populations affected by HIV/AIDS and hepatitis C, including Aboriginal youth, young gay men, transgender youth, street‐involved or injection drug‐using youth, survival sex workers, and young women.
IT DOESN’T HURT TO APPLY! If you think you’re a strong candidate for this position, but you’re concerned you don’t have all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway. A willingness to take initiative in learning will be considered an asset. Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com. Applications may be addressed to ED Hiring Committee, Board of Directors, YouthCO AIDS Society, 900 Helmcken Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1B3.
We encourage youth under the age of 25, youth living with HIV/AIDS or HepC, youth from First Nations/Aboriginal communities; youth from newcomer and immigrant communities; youth of colour, LGBT/Queer youth; youth living with disabilities and members of other underrepresented communities
Compensation includes salary ($48,000 ‐ $52,000) commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Deadline for applications is 5 PM PST Monday, May 3rd, 2010.
Interview dates are Monday May 17th and Tuesday May 18th
Only successful, short‐listed candidates will be contacted. No telephone or email inquiries please.
Further information on YouthCO and its services may be found at www.youthco.org.